Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry
Pediatric dentistry is the branch of dentistry which deals with oral and dental problems in infants and children through adolescence, including those with special healthcare needs. The Department specializes in treatment modalities, along with patient education, behavior management, and motivation with diet counselling.
The Department of Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry of Faculty of Dental Science, Dharmsinh Desai University was established in the year 2005, with the intent of providing the best of oral health care and treatment to children and making every child’s dental experience an enjoyable and pleasant one. It offers treatment of carious, malformed or fractured teeth, treatment of developing malocclusion and treatment of pulpal and periapical diseases of primary and young permanent teeth in children.
- Preventive dental treatments such as
- Cleaning of teeth (Scaling)
- Topical Fluoride application
- Pit and Fissure Sealants application
- Restorative Procedures in Children such as
- Glass Ionomer Cement (GIC) Restorations
- Composite Restorations
- Silver Amalgam Restorations
- Stainless steel crowns
- Pulp therapy procedures like
- Vital pulp therapy – Direct pulp capping, Indirect pulp capping, Pulpotomy
- Pulpectomy for primary teeth & Root Canal Treatment (RCT) for young permanent teeth
- Apexification using MTA
- Preventive & interceptive orthodontic procedures such as
- Space Maintainers
- Habit breaking appliance
- Removable orthodontic appliances
- Management of Traumatic dental injuries and minor oral
The goal of the Department of Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry is to provide both primary and comprehensive preventive and therapeutic oral healthcare for children. We educate and counsel the patients as well as parents regarding importance of maintaining optimal oral health and instills lifelong positive attitude towards dental health in children.